I have had the opportunity to lead the Builders Sunday Morning Small Group for three weeks studying the gospel according to Mark. This question was from a breakout group studying Mark 8:31-9:1, 9:30-32 and 10:32.34.
Another good question about fear. I could see the disciples feeling as if they should understand what Jesus was teaching them. I know that my response when I do not know what is going on is sometimes to pretend like I do or hope that I will figure it out. Another member of the class suggested later that perhaps the disciples thought that they would have time to figure out what Jesus really meant by his predictions of death.
What do you think?
You can find previous responses to questions coming from this class here:
- Is Peter acting out of fear when he rebukes Jesus for announcing he is going to die?
- Did Peter know what he meant by saying, “You are the Christ?”
- Why are the disciples so clueless?
- Why did Jesus not want to be identified?
- Had the disciples heard of Jesus before?
- How were books of the Bible chosen?