If I could change one thing in the United Methodist Church today, I would end guaranteed clergy appointments. Here are the top 10 reasons to end this practice:
8. Ineffective clergy will be more easily removed from leading a United Methodist church.
7. Effective clergy will be responsible for a increasing number of churches.
6. The circumstances that called for guaranteed appointments have changed.
5. A guaranteed job can foster complacency.
4. Provisional clergy would not be refused ordination based on availability of an appointment.
3. Continuing to do things the same way will not bring different results.
2. It would put an end to the advice to “Be a pastor only if you can’t imagine yourself doing anything else.”
1. Over time, the overall effectiveness and competency of clergy in the United Methodist Church will increase thereby aiding the church in making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.