I came to SXSW Interactive 2011 to gain perspectives, discover technology and learn practical steps that will help Resurrection Online fulfill our purpose of building a Christian community where non and nominally religious people are becoming deeply committed Christians. I hope to share some highlights and next steps from the day for Resurrection Online and myself.
- Delightful challenges sustain passionate users.
- Play & Challenges + Goals & Rewards = Game; Goals & Rewards ≠ Game
- Quality is more likely with scarcity.
- Once you have the core challenge figured out – then you can add gamification to the core challenge
- Determine key motivation by asking 5 Why? questions in a row; If it starts to feel uncomfortable you are doing it correctly.
- Shaping strategy – mobilizing a very large number of participants to support a strategy to reshape an entire market or industry
- Shaping view – a compelling view of a long term future of an entire market or industry that supports the strategy
- Shaping platform – a platform with a lot of niches that reduces the investment required to participate in the shaping strategy and accelerates the realization of revenue from the investment
- Shaping views and actions – Demonstrate ability to live into the shaping view, in the face of cynicism, through actions and commitment of assets.
- Anyone has the potential to be a shaper, but over time that potential will diminish as people come in to reshape the industry; If you do not want to be a shaper, determine who will be part of the shaping and how do I participate in that strategy to be part of creating value
Next Steps for Resurrection Online
- Design a user experience that will sustain connection over a long period of time
- Pay attention to the motivating human behavior for worship online
- Develop a shaping strategy and view for mainline church online
- Determine whether Resurrection Online will become a shaping platform for mainline church online
Next Steps for Me
- Consider developing a shaping strategy and view for the Great Plains Annual Conference.