As a pastor, I have the great honor of being part of some of the most significant events in the lives of people. One of these is when a couple is joined together in Christian marriage.
Premarital appointments with a couple are crucial as they create the opportunity to:
- Get to know each other
- Plan a service of Christian marriage that makes sense for them
- Offer coaching or help around areas of concern for the couple
- Share guidance from marrying and counseling couples
I am in my ninth year as an appointed pastor in the United Methodist Church and during that time I have officiated at thirty-seven services of Christian marriage and currently have four scheduled in the next twelve months. I have developed this template for four premarital appointments. While I will continue to develop it, I wanted to share my current version with you.
- 2014 Premarital Appointments Preparation for A Service of Christian Marriage – PDF
- 2014 Premarital Appointments Preparation for A Service of Christian Marriage – Microsoft Word (.docx)
Feel free to use and adapt in whatever ways are helpful for you. I hope that this is helpful for you in ministry.
What have you found to be effective and helpful in meeting with a couple before they are married?